Hopeless Tory leadership hopeful Boris Johnson has used his latest Telegraph column to reinvent himself as a champion for feminism.
He calls the #MeToo movement “extraordinary”, cries out that “we need that feminist rage … we need the waters of righteous anger to sweep away the global injustice to the female sex”, and finally exhorting his reader to join him and “be a feminist”.
But it doesn’t take a secret Tory dossier to establish that Boris’ conversion to feminism may be far from sincere – here are twelve of his most sexist moments.
- Declaring “voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts” on the campaign trail in 2004, doing nothing to dampen demands for his presence at posh Tory fundraisers.
- Ogling the legs of TV presenter Catrina Skepper, saying “her silvery little skirt is so short it would be positively impolite not to have a quick dekko [glance]”.
- Blaming the “fickleness” of women for their decision to back Labour instead of the Tories.
- Defending “huge knockers” obsessive Toby Young as a man with “independence, rigour and caustic wit” and the “ideal man” for the job at the government’s new universities regulator.
- Claiming that women go to university because “they’ve got to find men to marry”.
- Advising his successor as editor of the Spectator to “just pat her on the bottom and send her on her way” if approached by publisher Kimberley Quinn.
- Writing of women that “I sometimes wonder if they really want to work quite so hard”, adding that the “unloved and undisciplined children” of working women were “more likely to become hoodies, NEETs, and mug you on the street corner”.
- Leering at “hot totty” at Labour’s 1996 party conference, writing that that “time and again the ‘Tottymeter’ has gone off as a young woman delegate mounts the rostrum”.
- Praising cities for having “a greater range of girls at the bar, of reproductive choice”.
- Bragging that his desktop calendar featuring nude women has “caused something of a stir” in the Telegraph offices and “made women feel embarrassed”.
- Branding the children of single mothers “ill-raised, ignorant, aggressive and illegitimate”.
- Writing an article titled “Magnificently Sexist” about a beauty pageant in which he admires “the one with the cleavage” and “the one with the legs”.
Boris isn’t the only Tory with a sleazy past – read our article about ten other times the Tories were caught out on misogyny here.